As soon as a new school year arrives, my thoughts always turn to new projects - I like nothing more than coming up with a few home tinkering plans to occupy the spaces between Saturday morning U7s football matches and Sunday evening lunchbox making.
Over the summer, I tackled a few minor interior projects, steam cleaning all the kitchen worktops and moving our sitting room around to make the most of a lovely deep window seat. I spotted a wonderful rustic milking stool and I gave Xavi’s bedroom a bit of a makeover, organising toys, wall displays, books and his little desk ready for a new school year.
But last week I bought this book and now my mind is full of exciting new plans to bring a bit more colour into our home. I absolutely LOVE everything in the Rice DK range and own quite a bit of the melamine, but this book takes a colourful, happy home to the next level.
So, in the spirit of autumn projects, I am now planning to:
- dip the feet of the milking stool in Annie Sloan chalk paint - I was thinking white, but now I’m not so sure…
- paint our two Stokke chairs in bright jewel colours, one in this green and one in this blue
- move an Ikea Expedit shelving unit from the landing outside or bedroom into our spare room, sticking it on its side and adding 4 door inserts along the bottom and 4 jewel coloured Rice DK square raffia baskets along the top to create some much needed storage for my overflowing wardrobe
- create clashing colour combinations in the cushions we have in our home. I bought this bright pink baby last week and put it next to a vibrant red velvet one on our dark grey sofa. It makes my heart sing every time I see it - go clashing colour combos!
- come up with some sort of wall display above our bed - at the moment, we have something very similar to this on the otherwise bare wall but I think it needs more. A picture shelf maybe?
It’s not a long list, but with only one weekend free in September and most of October looking pretty busy too, I think it will keep me occupied until Halloween at least getting all this sorted.
Have you got any back to school projects in the pipeline?